Monday, January 17, 2011

onion rings


mmmmmmmmmmm...onion rings. I had a million onions left so I decided to make some. I was inspired by my friend MW who just made some and sent me a photo of hers. I am a die hard fan of Ina Garten. I just love her. I'll post desserts and things I make from her cookbooks. She is the best. Her recipes are spot on and fail proof. These onion rings are from her cookbook. They're a bit time consuming, but worth the effort. She likes her onions sliced thick, I like mine thin. They can be prepared either way. I love the idea of cornmeal mixed into the batter-it gives it a really crusty edge and great texture. I'm just going to summarize her directions for the sake of time.


Cornmeal-fried onion rings
2 large spanish onions (or whatever you have)
2 cups buttermilk
kosher salt, pepper to taste
1 1/2 all purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 qt. vegetable oil

1. slice onions and separate into rings
2. combine buttermilk, 1-1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper in a bowl.
3. Add onions to the buttermilk mix and let stand for 15 minutes
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.

Heat oil to 350 degrees. take onions out of buttermilk mix and dredge in flour mixture and fry.

Place them on paper towels to collect extra oil. keep warm in the oven (set to 200 degrees for up to 30 minutes)

Enjoy!

No comments: