Thursday, January 27, 2011

Key Lime Pie



It was my brother-in-law's birthday and one of his favorite desserts is key lime pie so I decided to make it for him. This is a wonderful recipe and it's so easy to make. I cheated a little bit and bought a pre-made crust and I didn't use key limes. I have a lime tree in my backyard so I used those instead. My limes look yellow...and they are yellow, but they're not lemons, they're limes. Really! I'm almost afraid to list the recipe because it shows how easy it was to make. This recipe is from allrecipes.com and it received tons of rave reviews. It's no wonder-it's a fail proof recipe and when you use a star tip to pipe out the whipped cream, it's worthy of a few aahs.

Key Lime Pie
Ingredients

* 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
* 3 cups sweetened condensed milk (about 2 cans)
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 3/4 cup key lime juice (about 25-35 limes depending on their size)
* 1 tablespoon grated lime zest

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime rind.
Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of pie. DO NOT BROWN! Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.

No comments: