Thursday, January 27, 2011

It's Taco Time at the Wongs


We remember so well what it was like at the beginning with a newborn. It was not easy. Tommy and I ordered take out every day for the first 3 months...cooking was out of the question. I didn't have the energy for it. Alan and Lu make it look easy, and they probably don't need me to bring dinner over to them, but I do it anyways! Tonight was taco night. I went to the local Mexican market and bought carne asada and marinated chicken. We packed the typical condiments, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, cheese, sour cream, onions, and avocado salsa (from Trader joe's-I've never seen it before, but it was good!) For dessert I baked Ina Garten's pear clafouti from her Barefoot in Paris cookbook. She called for Bartlett pears, but I used bosc pears which was a fine alternate. Clafouti is like a custard filled with fruit. Usually cherry, but you could virtually do any fall/winter fruit. It's a very simple recipe and it's easy to assemble. I love the way the pears peek out of the top of the batter. I was only able to capture the clafouti before I baked it. We were pressed for time and before I knew it, the clafouti was baked and we were out the door. The Wong's had vanilla ice cream and it was just what we needed to go with the clafouti.
At the Wong's I was able to hold Boppy (10 weeks) as she slept in my arms. I could just kiss her all night. It's the sweetest thing.

No comments: