Monday, January 17, 2011

okonomiyaki


This is one of my most favorite Japanese dishes. They're Japanese pancakes and it's like a poor man's dish, but aren't those the best? There isn't really one right way of making it. I actually don't even follow any recipe really. All you really need is cabbage-and cabbage is something I almost always try to have in my fridge because there's so much you can do with it. I like my okonomiyaki with bacon-cuz that's just another staple in my fridge. People will probably tell you this isn't authentic, but even my cousin in Japan makes his just with cabbage and bacon so...to each his own.

Basic okonomiyaki batter:
2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup dashi
4 eggs
cabbage
bacon
bonito flakes
kewpie mayonnaise
okonomiyaki sauce


Mix the flour, dashi and eggs together in a bowl. Add shredded cabbage and coat the shredded cabbage thoroughly. Lightly oil a pan. Add the cabbage mixture and shape it into a pancake shape. Make sure the okonomiyaki is cooked thoroughly or else it will have that raw flour taste-yuck. Before you flip it, add strips of raw bacon onto one side and then flip it over.

Top it with bonito flakes, mayo, and okonomiyaki sauce. Yum!

No comments: