Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Alcove






The Alcove is a great little place on Hillhurst Ave. in Los Angeles- a street that's studded with little eateries. We went to celebrate my brother in law's birthday. We've been to the Alcove a few times and I am reminded of why we go back again and again. It's a charming place with a great outdoor seating area-surrounded by trees and greenery. Here, you order at the counter and then you sit wherever you please. The counter is filled with baked goods like red velvet cupcakes, blue velvet cupcakes, bread puddings, cookies and cakes galore. I couldn't resist but to order the bread pudding-one of my all time favorite desserts. They described it as a french toast with chocolate chips, but a thousand times better. I was sold. They serve it warm with two dollops of whipped cream on the side. I thought it was a little orange zest heavy, but I'm just not a huge fan of orange in my chocolate goods. I know-they go hand in hand, but it's just not for me. The chilaquiles was good, but their beans looked grey. We enjoyed the beautiful weather, the good food and watching the cousins play together.
Happy birthday, part 1, Chris!

1 comment:

The Santisugis said...

happy birthday hun!

are the cousins so cute together!? i loveR it!!!!