Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I've waited a long time for this day...


It's the long awaited day. I don't know when I thought this day would come. I didn't think it really would. In the back of my mind I've been hoping and wishing, but it just wasn't happening. Until today at around 3:00, my husband texted me and wrote: "my mom wants to come over and teach you how to make chicken pho." My mouth dropped. I was suuuuuuuper excited. All I could text was "yayayayayayayayayayay!!!"

I have to preface by saying that there is nothing that can compare to homemade pho. I know every mother has their own version and there are a million different ways to make it, but my MIL makes one amazing bowl of pho. It's so rich in flavor and it doesn't have a greasy finish. It's got such a clean broth that puts restaurants to shame. Shaaaaaaaame I tell ya!

So, my M-I-L came over at 6:00 with her pot in hand and all of the ingredients needed to make pho. I had my husband's phone for photos and video, pen and paper in hand and I was ready. I tried to take it all in. Step by step...asking as many questions as I could. I was hesitant to help because I didn't want to miss anything she was doing. It was an intense hour and a half just because I felt like history was being made right in my own kitchen. And even as I write this I'm trying to replay all of the steps and ingredients in my mind so I don't forget. This type of lesson is priceless, isn't it?

My house smelled amazing. You could smell the star anise and that cinnamon-y rich soup that just made me close my eyes and breathe it all in.

In my head, I feel like I can recreate this amazing dish, but in actuality, I'm sure it will be an epic failure. My notes are scribbles, and it'll take me a while to actually rewrite what I learned today, so for now-a photo.

1 comment:

The Santisugis said...

where is the recipe???