Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chili Kale Chips


Don't they sound interesting? When I read about them in Food Magazine, I had to make them. I've been trying to incorporate more vegetables into our meals so I thought this would be neat to try. My husband didn't seem too keen on the idea and if he knew that there was sriracha chili paste in it he definitely wouldn't give them a chance. It's easy to make and it's a much healthier alternative to the potato chip. The crunch on these things is ridiculous. It's an amazingly airy, crispy crunch. The crunch alone would make you want to eat one. At least it made my husband want to try it. They're SPICY and there's something so addicting about them. At around 10 at night I found myself craving some more. They're only good the day they're prepared. I tried them the next day and they were soggy and hard to chew. blech. They're well worth it if you plan to eat them right away!

Chili Kale Chips

2 bunches of kale, stems removed
2 tbsp olive oil
5 tsp. sriracha chili paste
salt to taste

Set oven to 300 degrees F. Place oven racks on top and bottom third of the oven.


Remove the leaves from the stems of kale and tear kale leaves into 2 inch pieces. They will shrink once baked. Make sure they are washed and dried.

in a separate bowl, toss together oil and sriracha. Drizzle over the kale leaves and toss to coat. It's not a lot of sauce and it's not supposed to be drenched. It's kind of the essence of the sauce you're trying to get. Sprinkle salt over the kale.

Place the kale on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 35 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let it stand until cooled. Enjoy!

No comments: