Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Grandmother's Buttermilk Cornbread


This is my go to recipe for cornbread. It's so simple and delicious. Sure, you could buy the pre-made mixes, but this is so easy that there isn't much more to it. I made it for Thanksgiving and my Aunt actually put some aside so she could save it for later! My husband often asks for me to make it just because. I love it warm with butter. Last night I doubled the recipe and poured it into a 9x13 inch pan. We had hot bowls of chili with all the fixins and a side of warm cornbread fresh out of the oven. It's nice to double the recipe because you have more than enough for guests to take home and some to snack on the next day like I am doing now.

Ingredients
(allrecipes.com)

* 1/2 cup butter
* 2/3 cup white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 cup cornmeal
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
2. Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

I used a plain old regular pot to melt my butter in. After the butter melted I added the rest of the ingredients in the same pot. People were concerned about adding eggs to the hot pot, but the sugar lowers the temperature somewhat and as long as you're continually whisking, the eggs won't cook. It's so good!

No comments: