Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tonkatsu


Tonkatsu is a deep fried meat cutlet. It can be chicken or beef, but the classic version is pork. My mom brought over 4 pieces of beautiful pork tonight so I prepared tonkatsu for dinner. (This is the second time my parents brought over food for us this week. I think each time they drop food off they have the inner hopes of being able to see their grandson! Fail. Both times. He was already sleeping!

Back to tonkatsu. Salt and pepper the meat on both sides. Pound it out to about 1/2 an inch thick. Then dredge it in flour first, then eggs(beaten), and finally with panko (Japanese bread crumbs).

Heat up the pan. Add oil (I used canola oil) and make sure the oil is hot enough-to test it, you can throw in some panko and see if it sizzles right when it makes contact with the oil Fry on both sides for about 4 or so minutes until it is nice and brown. Usually when the oil bubbles are smaller in size, then the tonkatsu is ready. When you take it out of the oil, let it rest on some paper towels to absorb some of the oil.

Serve it with tonkatsu sauce and some shredded cabbage-my husband will have it no other way! He must have cabbage!

No comments: