Thursday, July 14, 2011

Granola




I've been wanting to make my own granola for quite some time. I see people do it all the time. I watched an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and this one place made granola pancakes and it sounded so good, so I finally pulled out this recipe and set off to the market. I realized that you can put whatever you want in your granola. It's really up to you. I think it's the honey blend that's important. That's the part that is key to making the type of granola you like. This makes TONS of granola. I almost don't even know what to do with it! My son actually loves eating the granola nuggets-and I don't feel so bad because it's got good stuff in it.

We've been eating it as a snack, topping our yogurt with it and making granola pancakes with it which are amazing. I HIGHLY recommend mixing it with your pancake mix. It gives it such a nice texture.

I used the granola from allrecipes.com, but I modified it to my own liking. Here is my modified version:

Ingredients

8 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups wheat germ
1 1/2 cups flax seed meal
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 cup finely chopped almonds
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup honey
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Optional ingredients: oat bran, sunflower seeds, cranberries, raisins

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment or aluminum foil.
Combine the oats, wheat germ, coconut, flax seed meal, almonds, pecans, and walnuts in a large bowl. Stir together the salt, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then pour over the dry ingredients, and stir to coat. Spread the mixture out evenly and not too thick on the baking sheets.
Bake in the preheated oven until crispy and toasted, about 30-49 minutes. Stir once halfway through.


Truly an amazing recipe for a classic homemade granola!

No comments: